Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Makeup Bag Woes

'What can I do to reduce the size of the makeup bag in my purse?'

makeup by Hayley.Bolan, on Flickr

This was the question I recently saw posed in the advice section of a magazine.  What came next was a paragraph or so on some products that served double duties and/or came in small compact containers. 

My first thought was, 'wear less makeup'.  My second thought was, 'or hell... even none'. 

That would certainly save a lot of space in your purse.  Of course the magazine was not about to suggest such a thing, and risk offending some of their best advertising partners.  I however, do not have to worry about such things.

Makeup.  Makeup.  Makeup.

As if I did not have enough reminders that I am not living up to the standard of beauty enough already, the makeup industry makes certain to plaster their reminders just about everywhere.  Nothing about my face seems to be right, and there is a product out there that will solve that.  Mascara for my eye lashes, creams and powders to smooth out my complexion, more powders to enlighten my eyes and cheeks, pencils to outline and redraw, lipsticks to brighten my lips... etc... etc... etc...

Admittedly I do look prettier with makeup on.  And yes I own a small bag of makeup, I know the basics of how to put it on.  That bag only comes out maybe once a month, and sometimes closer to once every two or three months.  Usually when I go out for a nice dinner or some 'formal' occasion.  Even then I tend to go very conservative and the makeup I do end up taking with me in my purse would probably make the woman who wrote into the magazine shudder, because it consists of a tube of lip gloss (not even full lipstick usually, just some glittery gloss to toss on after I am done eating). 

Every now and then I decide, typically after an event where I wear makeup and get lots of compliments about how nice I look (because you know normally I'm sporting ratting stay-at-home mom style), that I am going to try and wear a little more makeup regularly.  I will try to dab on some mascara (my eyelashes match my hair, thin and gingery) in the morning, or I will keep the glittery gloss in my purse to use instead of chap stick, or if I am feeling awfully brave I might even try to powder my face twice a day.  These efforts end pretty quickly.  I start to realize I hate taking off mascara, and it causes little sty's to appear on my eyelids.  The glittery gloss gets lost in the many transfers of my stuff between diaper bags and purses.  As for the powder, I find I have better things to do with my life than reapply makeup all day and it bothers me to touch my face and find stuff on it. 

So most of the time I just give it up.  My kids do not care if I wear it, my husband does not really (and honestly I think he prefers me not to so he doesn't get covered in whenever he tries to kiss or touch me), it saves me a lot of money, and my skin is probably healthier for it anyway. 

Go ahead society, judge me by the size of my makeup bag, or lack there of... I have better things to concern myself with.

1 comment:

  1. I'm also one of those no make up people. It never stays put and I think I am perfectly adorable without it. It makes me sad when I hear women say that they wouldn't leave the house without a made up face.

    ReplyDelete