Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Gaps in Our Beauty

The Mythical Thigh Gap

Thigh Gap by topgold, on Flickr
Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License  by  topgold 

While wandering through Pintrest one day I came across a pin about attaining The Thigh Gap.  And had a fascinating image, drawn, of a woman's legs with a square drawn between her two legs the one end resting under her rather personal parts.  This piqued my interest.  My thighs aren't supposed to touch?  When did this happen?

I did what any real researcher would and went straight to Wikipedia and learned the answer, and felt a little better because according to them it really started being a thing only about two years ago.  Thanks to a Victoria's Secret fashion show (of course) when several models sported this 'gap'.  Apparently afterward the internet started buzzing with the term and has been ever since.

Well I, like everyone else, decided to check to see if I had this desired gap in my beauty.  I stood up, put my knees together and low and behold, I have a gap!  It does not rise as far as my unmentionables but pretty close... look at that I have a desirable beauty aspect.  I did not even know it, and I barely ever show it off.  Dresses that fall above my knees are generally not part of my wardrobe (I have to bend over too much to take care of small children and don't want those unmentionable parts of me to suddenly become the topic of the local grocery store).  And pants that are tight enough to show it off, are 1.  surprisingly hard to find for me & 2.  uncomfortable.

I might have taken a few moments to puff up a little at this realization but it quickly dissolved.  This is an absolutely ridiculous beauty standard. 

What really got to me was the Wikipedia entry that stated it is associated with 'femininity and fragility'.  Fragility!?  I don't want this!  Why is fragility associated with beauty?  Shouldn't I be strong?  I want these thighs...

Photo from this site

Thighs that will fill out my jeans and my tight skirts...

Thighs that will stay together when you sit down, so you do not show off the color of your underwear or unknowingly give out invitations you had not meant to send...

Thighs that will strike fear in any man who even thinks of assaulting me because I could easily ram my knee with such force into his groin that he will sing soprano for a week... or strangle him between my legs...

Powerful, beautiful, womanly thighs...

But instead I am stuck with this stupid thigh gap.  I risk showing off my unmentionables when I wear a skirt.  Dropping something into my lap might mean fishing for it on the chair because it falls between my legs. 

So while you admire my thigh gap (when it actually gets shown off) and secretly do your squats or thigh crunches or whatever exercise you are supposed to do to get delicate waif like thighs of mine... just know that secretly I am drooling over your satisfyingly full thighs. 



No comments:

Post a Comment