Monday, June 9, 2014

Supporting vs. Slandering: Miss Indiana 2014

I do not have television so sometimes I am a bit behind on world events, so this story just came to my attention:

During the Miss USA 2014 competition this weekend Miss Indiana, gained a lot of attention in social media.  She did this by flaunting her so called 'normal' body in a bikini. 


Let me start off by saying... God she's gorgeous.  I would LOVE to have that body, and if I worked out I probably could.  I also will state that I did not watch this competition and have no idea what the other competitors looked like.  However, I found some of the support for her bordering on that thin shaming edge I have written about before. 

One such tweet went as follows:

"okay miss Indiana was the most human and not a stick and she didn't make it"

'Most human' !?  Somehow being thin makes us less than human?  Even without seeing the competition I am certain that non of them were any less human than Miss Indiana, perhaps there was less actual mass than her, but certainly not less humanity.  Humanity should really be judged by one of two criteria, either our DNA or the amount of compassion we extend to those around us.  Putting a girl in a swimsuit is no way to judge her basic right to the title 'human'.

And nearly every single tweet on the article I linked to mentioned 'stick'.  I hate this term, it always makes me think of a little dead twig you find in the yard, probably with a few soggy wet leaves hanging on it sadly. 

Thin, or skinny, does not necessarily equate to little dead inhuman things.  It does not even immediately mean that you are unhealthy.  Stop shaming us for being small.  Not that I have any problem with getting excited over seeing some different body shapes showing up in arenas that speak of beauty.  It IS a shame that these pageants seem to only represent one specific demographic of beauty.  But please remember that the skinny girls have feelings too

No comments:

Post a Comment